I filled this out last week, but set my blog so that it will post on June 1. Hopefully all of the secret pals will have been sent out by then. Hi secret pal if you are reading this!!!
1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?
Um, well I live in Japan so I don't have access to any of those yarns, but I guess that I don't knit with 100% acryllic for wearables, but it's ok to make accessories, toys, etc. I do love natural fibres though.
2. Do you spin? Crochet?
I don't spin because my apartment is too small, but I'd like to get into it one day. I love to crochet and learnt to do that before knitting, but now I definitely knit more than crochet.
3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)
I found out recently that I am kind of allergic to cats, but that's it. You're not going to send me a cat are you??
4. How long have you been knitting?
Well I learnt when I was a kiddie, but it never really stuck. I definitely crocheted more back then. I seriously took up knitting at the end of 2003.
5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
yes. I have an Amazon Japan wishlist.
6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)
Hmmm, I love most essential oils - lavender, eucalyptus, tea tree, jasmine. I have always liked White Musk from the Body Shop and wore that in high school. Recently I have been walking into the Body Shop just to spray it on me, but I don't own a bottle as I never really wear perfume. I love scented hand creams and moisturizers like this one, and all those body butters. I especially like the smell of coconut sunscreen.
7. Do you have a sweet tooth?
Yes, but I am not a big dessert person. I like Cadbury Fruit and Nut chocolate and actually any chocolate with nuts or raisins mixed in. I LOVE wine gums and other jube type lollies.
8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?
I used to be big into making calendars - sort of a montage type thing where I would use magazines and whatever else was lying around to make the pics for each month. I have also recently tried making stuff out of felt, and would love to learn how to sew and reconstruct clothing.
9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)
Hmm, I listen to a lot of different kinds of music. Right now I am really into Dolly Parton, Le Tigre, Peaches, Chicks on Speed (I love that Eurotrash Girl song), Yo La Tengo, and Turbonegro.
10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?
I do love pink, but look better in red I feel. I love bright colours (yellow, blue, etc) for tights and shoes. Lately I've been into the gold/silver thing, but feel it waning. I avoid light natural tones, pastels, and white.
11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
Married. no pets (unfortunately)
12. What are your life dreams? (really stretching it here, I know)
For me, Darin and our families to be happy, healthy and to never have to worry about money too much. It'd also be cool to have a really satisfying job and work for myself rather than a big corporation.
13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?
I really love Koigu, handpainted yarns from Uruguay, and soft cotton/cotton mixes. I would really love to try some of the bamboo yarn from southwest trading.
14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
The only real fibre I have hated so far would have to be fancy yarn with lots of little bits so that when you knit you can't see any stitches and any boucle yarn.
15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?
Using stash for projects.
16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
I love Rebecca patterns, but only have two issues - the most recent spring/summer one and the one before that I think. I recently realized though that I truly love knitting summer tops. I rarely wear big, bulky knits and find it hard to store them in little Japanese apartments. I also LOVE knitting socks.
17. What are you knitting right now?
Some small presents. I'm finishing up the Iris shrug from Rowan 35 in merino wool from handpainted yarn. Next on my sticks will be knee-high multi-coloured socks and the chevron tank from the current rebecca.
18. What do you think about ponchos?
I crocheted the Lola poncho from Rowan 35, but I never wear it. I hate how it restricts the movement of my arms, so I think I will rip it out and do it again, but adjust the pattern so it finishes above my elbows. I think ponchos are cute, but I haven't had to deal with the poncho obsession like in the US.
19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?
20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
bamboo mostly. I love clover needles and short bamboo double points for socks. I also own denise needles which are handy but mostly good with larger guage projects.
21. Are you a sock knitter?
yes, I love socks, but have only knitted about three or four pairs.
22. How did you learn to knit?
From a book.
23. How old is your oldest UFO?
about a year old I guess. I started a Debbie Bliss pullover for my nephew, but I got bored and never even finished the back of the project. It is going to be ripped.
24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?
I like unicorns.
25. What is your favorite holiday?
Christmas for sure.
26. Is there anything that you collect?
not really except for an insane amount of yarn and other craft supplies and knitting mags
27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
I would actually love to have a copy of the 'Vogue Knitting Quick Reference Book', 'Socks, socks, socks', 'Simple socks: plain and fancy' by Priscilla A Gibson, and Cat Bordi's book 'Socks Soar on Two Circular Needles', and 'Vintage Knits', and of course Teva Durham's Loop D Loop, but I have will my dirty little hands on that one by the time this post is up on the web!!!!