Hey everyone, I made it back to Japan in one piece except now I have a chest cold. I guess that's what happens when you expose your body to a 30 degree temperature change in 7 hours. I didn't miss the internet or blogging at all - can you believe it? But I must say that since I have been catching up on everyone else's bloggy news, I am psyched to get back into it all.
Our holiday in Australia was, of course, wonderful. We caught up with family, old friends, went to bbqs and parties, swam almost every single day, lazed at the beach, and we went on a one-week roadtrip (Mackay to Cairns) where we saw a platypus in the wild - seriously! On a side note, I am Australian born and bred but I seriously thought the platypus was a much bigger animal - they're tiny (grow to a maximum length of 60cm!!!)!!
Brisbane experienced the hottest December on record and I don't think it went below 30 the whole time we were there. For some reason though, when you are on holiday sipping cold beers on big airy wooden Queensland verandas it just doesn't seem to matter. The only thing I didn't feel like doing was knitting. I finished off squarey for my mum for Christmas but other than that - nothing except for knitting a London Beanie on the trip home. Why would I want to knit when I could swim?? Seriously.
We had a great Australian summer xmas full of eating traditional turkey dinner while sweating, playing in a kiddie swimming pool with water guns (well, that was darin), and opening presents in the middle of a murderously loud thunderstorm.
Here's my cutie niece Mia cuddling her favourite xmas present, Charlotte the care bear!!
I was able to don my wedding dress once again for our family wedding dinner at the Merthyr Bowls Club in New Farm. I wish I had some photos for you but they are stuck on my brother's hard drive in Australia. I think we'll get them soon. I was also able to celebrate my 31st birthday in sunny Cairns eating fresh papaya and orange juice for breakfast and spending the day by the pool.
This holiday was full of firsts:
- Darin and I went to Gold Class for the first time (we saw King Kong) - thanks mum!
- We visited Far North Queensland (FNQ) for the first time and had a great introduction when Julie picked us up at Cairns airport to drive us to Port Douglas on our very first day in Australia for a sausage sizzle by the ocean - it was magic.
- Both Darin and I scuba dived for the first time
- We slept on a massive pontoon right next to Hardy Reef which is part of the Great Barrier Reef
- We saw a platypus for the first time but we luckily didn't see a cassowary.
- We did the XXXX Brewery tour - thanks Julie!
- Darin surfed for the first time
- We got upgraded to business class for the trip home (for some unknown but very welcome reason)!!!
Our first glimpse of the Whitsundays from the car
I already miss my family, my friends, the warm weather, swimming, crazy Aussie animals and wearing flip flops, short skirts and my bikini top all the time. I do have some photos from our road trip so if you wanna see them, click below!!